Monday, September 3, 2007

Activity #3

I have just completed the IATs and reading the hidden bias tutorial. After taking the tests I was a bit surprised by the results. Though I kind of have opinions and tend to sway one way or another when it comes to my opinion of differnt types of people, I did not expect for a test like that to pick it up. I believe this assignment and these tests were a good way to open up discussion to how society today really infuences how we think, whether we realize it or not. I think we can learn from these tests that even if we act like we have no prejudice and we think we don't make stereotypes, we do and we need to start changing that. I think it is important to start thinking about biases and prejudices because if we are aware of where we have biases, then we now what areas to work on changing that bias. After taking the gender test, I also chose the sexuality test (gay vs. straight) and the weight test (fat vs. thin). I chose those tests because I did not think that I had strong biases towards any of those groups or liked/disliked one more than the other. Come to find out, in my unconcious thoughts I DID have a bias towards one. These biases that I have I beleive come from society and like the "Hidden Bias" article says, though I dont know it, I am conforming to what society wants me to be and wants me to beleive even if i dont realize it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

do much more with this... discuss the results of the test you took, bring in ideas from the tutorial... why did you choose these specific tests, etc...